Stephen G. Rhoads concentrates his practice in the areas of Professional and General Liability Defense, Commercial Litigation, and advising educational and non-profit institutions on risk-management.
With a Masters in Counseling, Gawthrop Greenwood partner Stephen G. Rhoads is uniquely qualified to serve as counsel to mental health and allied professionals, as well as educational and non-profit institutions facing professional and general liability claims. He defends licensed professionals in proceedings before the Pennsylvania licensing boards and in malpractice claims in Pennsylvania state and federal courts. In addition, insurance claims professionals regularly call upon him for his prompt service and proactive reporting on behalf of their insured clients that include psychologists, social service workers, residential treatment facilities, schools/universities/educators, construction design professionals, insurance and real estate agents and municipal officials.
Stephen also concentrates his practice on a wide variety of commercial disputes involving zoning, construction, employment, contract, shareholder and other business disputes. An advocate of alternative dispute resolution, he has successfully resolved various claims through arbitration and mediation.
A former university administrator, Stephen specializes in risk management, conflict resolution and litigation in higher education, having defended athletic injury and failure to supervise claims in high school and college sports. He also concentrates on matters related to campus sexual discrimination and Title IX compliance. He has conducted various internal investigations for schools, prisons and residential treatment facilities.
A member of the Chester County and Philadelphia Bar Associations, Rhoads is a Fellow of the Claims and Litigation Alliance. Active in his Chester County community, he serves on the West Pikeland Township Zoning Hearing Board and is Chair of the Board of Trustees of The Mill at Anselma Preservation and Educational Trust, Inc. (a National Historic site). He is also an Advisory Board Member for the W.C. Eagles Field Hockey Club.
Stephen has taught classes on Health Law at West Chester University of Pennsylvania. His published articles include “What You Need to Know About Title IX,” “Legal Issues in the Life of a Therapist’s Practice,” and “The Insurer’s Right to Control the Defense.”
- Professional Liability Defense
- Commercial Litigation
- Construction Litigation
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
Honors & Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent-Rated Attorney
- “Philadelphia’s Top Rated Lawyers – Business Litigation, 2012 Edition” by The Legal Intelligencer
- Top Lawyers, Main Line Today Magazine, 2014, 2016, 2017
- Pennsylvania, 1986
- United States District Court, Eastern District, Pennsylvania, 1986
- United States District Court, Middle District, Pennsylvania, 1990
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, 1990
- New England Law, Boston, Massachusetts, J.D., 1986
- St. Lawrence University, Canton, New York, M.Ed., Counseling and Human Development, 1981
- St. Lawrence University, Canton, New York, B.A. Sociology, 1978