By Kelly A. Jurs, Esq. The COVID-19 pandemic has resulted in a rise in mental…
Companion animals are an important part of our lives. According to a recent study by the American Animal Hospital Association:
- 62% of households in the U.S. have companion animals.
- 85% of pet owners refer to themselves as their pets’ “mom” or “dad”
- 63% celebrate their pets’ birthdays
- 87% include their pets in holiday celebrations
- 65% have sung or danced with their pets
- 52% have cooked for their pets
- According to the Centers for Disease Control, 14-62% of dogs and cats in the U.S. sleep in the same bed as their human companions.
So, why do so few people consider their companion animals in their estate planning?