Stephen R. McDonnell concentrates his practice in the areas of Corporate/Contractual Issues, Construction Defects, Accidents, and Injuries, Employment Issues, and Injury Claims.
Named a “Top Lawyer” by Main Line Today each year since 2010, Stephen focuses his law practice on helping corporations and individuals avoid and resolve disputes through negotiation, mediation and/or litigation. His practice is concentrated in the areas of contract disputes, construction claims, employment issues as well as insurance matters. His day-to-day experience working with large, as well as smaller growing businesses and individuals gives him a unique understanding of their needs and concerns in the context of the larger local business landscape as well as the public sector.
Stephen has a diverse litigation background with extensive trial experience and more than 50 trials to verdict in State and Federal Courts of Pennsylvania and New Jersey. He has represented Fortune 500 companies, mid-sized companies, small businesses, contractors and individuals in a variety of litigation matters including contractual disputes, employment issues, construction defect/injuries and other matters.
Stephen is a past chair of Gawthrop Greenwood’s litigation department and currently serves on the firm’s management committee. He is a member of the Defense Research Institute, Counsel for Litigation Management as well as the Chester County, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Philadelphia Bar Associations. He has also served on the United Way Community Impact Team and currently serves on the Greater West Chester Chamber of Commerce’s member retention committee.
Stephen has taught classes on Indemnity in Construction Contracts, and Bad Faith in Insurance Coverage. He has also written various published articles, including:
- 10 Steps Needed to Properly Fire Someone, Entrepreneur.com, 2015.
- Like It or Not, Employees Can Say What They Want on Social Media, Philadelphia Business Journal, 2014
- Effective Pennsylvania Share Act, Mealey’s Publication, August, 2002
- Pennsylvania and New Jersey Defense Litigation Manual, Litigation Forum
- Geyer v. Ingersoll Publications Co.: Insolvency Shifts Directors’ Burden from Shareholders to Creditors, The Delaware Journal of Corporate Law, Volume 19, 1994
Prior to joining Gawthrop Greenwood, Stephen was a partner with Philadelphia law firm Delany & O’Brien. He has been selected to serve as an arbitrator by his peers and appointed as an arbitrator by the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas. Stephen also served as Counsel for Travelers Insurance.
Stephen has lived in the Philadelphia area his entire life. He earned a B.S. in Finance from Drexel University in 1990 and was graduated cum laude from the Widener University School of Law in 1994 where he served as an articles editor for the Law Review program.
Related News & Law Articles
- Corporate/Contractual Issues
- Insurance Matters
- Construction Defects, Accidents, & Injuries
- Employment Issues
- Injury Claims
Honors & Awards
- Top Lawyers, Main Line Today Magazine, 2010, 2014, 2016, 2017
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Court of Appeals Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey
- Widener University School of Law, Wilmington, Delaware, J.D., cum laude
- Law Review, Articles Editor
- Drexel University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, B.A., Finance
- St. Joseph’s Preparatory School, Philadelphila, Pennsylvania