Kristen Bennett is a member of Gawthrop Greenwood’s Estates and Trusts Department, and practices in the Wilmington, Delaware office. She focuses her practice on estate planning and administration and trust administration. She also provides counsel on taxation and tax planning for businesses.
As part of her practice, Kristen advises clients on estate planning options including powers of attorney, advance health care directives, wills, revocable trusts, irrevocable life insurance trusts, qualified personal resident trust, grantor retained annuity trusts, grantor retained unitrusts, intentionally defective grantor trusts, installment sales to grantor trusts, asset protection, business succession, and various charitable trusts and other estate planning instruments. She also advises clients on special needs and supplemental needs trusts.
Her work encompasses all aspects of wills and trusts, including the probate of wills, the marshaling and inventory of assets, and the administration of living and testamentary trusts. In addition, Kristen provides counsel on estate and trust administration, including probate, estate tax returns, income tax returns, post mortem tax planning, and other administration issues. From time to time, she represents clients in guardianship proceedings and petitions related to probate or trust administration in the Delaware Court of Chancery.
Kristen is a frequent speaker on such topics as estate planning, estate tax and special needs planning. Speaking engagements include:
- Jan. 29, 2015: Understanding Delaware’s Fiduciary Access to Digital Assets, CLE sponsored by the Delaware Bar Association.
- May 13, 2014: “The Fundamentals of Estate Planning” CLE, sponsored by the Delaware Bar Association
- October 3, 2012: Delaware Trust Conference, Drafting Workshop Panel Member
- March 3, 2011: Delaware Bar Association sponsored CLE, “The Basics of Special Needs Trust”
- February 8, 2011: The Wilmington Tax Group – 2010 Estate Tax Changes
2010 – 2015: Delaware Pre-Admission Conference for New Delaware Attorneys
Kristen is a member of the Delaware Bar Association’s Estates and Trusts Section and Tax Section, the Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Sections of the Pennsylvania Bar Association. Kristen is also a member of the Sussex County Bar Association and the American Bar Association. She is on the Estate Planning Council of Delaware, Inc. Kristen also serves as a Board Member for Delaware CarePlan, Inc., a non-profit nongovernmental organization, which serves as trustee of special and supplemental trusts created for the benefit of Delaware residents.
Related News & Law Articles
- Trust and Estates
Honors & Awards
- Delaware Rising Star in Tax, Super Lawyers Magazine, 2013 – 2016
- Delaware, 2004
- Pennsylvania, 2010
- Furman University, Greenville, South Carolina, B.A., 2001
- University of Richmond T.C. Williams School of Law, University of Richmond, Virginia, J.D., 2004
- Georgetown University Law Center, Washington, DC, LL.M in Taxation, 2007