Speaking before members of the Institute of Management Accountants (IMA), Gawthrop Greenwood partner Stephen J. Olsen recently served on a three-person panel that addressed business concerns related to the legalization of medical marijuana in Pennsylvania.
The seminar titled “PA Medical Marijuana and Business: Trial, Tribulations and Taxes” was held June 22, 2018 at the Crowne Plaza in King of Prussia and was moderated by Joe Luscavage, Vice President of Employee Benefit Services at Tycor Benefit Administrators, Inc.
Olsen provided an overview of the Pennsylvania Medical Marijuana Act signed into law in 2016, and how it has since affected business practices. Topics included:
- Basics of Pennsylvania’s Medical Marijuana Program
- Eligible patients and medical conditions
- PA Department of Health implementation, oversight and permits
- Approved practitioners and dispensaries
- State vs. federal government regulations on cannabis
- Medical marijuana configurations (pills, topicals, liquid, etc.) and exclusions
- Controlled Substance Act
- Prescriptions, Drug Enforcement Administration and physicians
- Employment law and disciplinary action
- Tax consequences for businesses
For more information or to book a workshop for your organization, click here.